- The Sun’s Not Broken, A Cloud’s Just in the Way: On Child-Centered Teaching, Second Edition 2022.
- Seeing Young Children with New Eyes: What We’ve Learned from Reggio Emilia About Children and Ourselves, with Leslie Gleim and Jed Handler, 2012.
- Pay Attention to the Children: Lessons for Teachers and Parents from Sylvia Ashton-Warner, 1996.
- Painting A Tragedy:
Three-to Five-Year-Old Children Process the Events of September 11
Written by Toni Gross and me and published in the May, 2002 issue of YOUNG CHILDREN, (the journal of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.) You can click on the link and print the article if you like. Please let me know you’ve done so, send an e-mail to sydney @ eceteacher.org
- Why We Should Repeat Field Trips With Young Children
Beginnings Workshop Child Care Information Exchange, May, 2001
- Discussing the News with 3-7-Year-Olds, What to Do? in
ERIC-ECE Early Years are Learning Years, 1999.
- Editing, Permission to Start Wrong
Early Childhood Research and Practice, an electronic journal of ERIC-ECE. Volume 1, Number 1, Spring, 1999.
- Column, Ask Sydney
in San Francisco Head Start Newsletter, 1993-4 (4 issues)
- Art in the Classroom: Making Every Day Special in YOUNG CHILDREN, Vol. 46. No. 2, January, 1991.
- Naming the Pictures in our Hearts: Sylvia Ashton-Warner & the Key Vocabulary. In Claremont Reading Conference Yearbook, 1990.
This paper is available as a Pacific Oaks Occasional Paper from Pacific Oaks College Bookstore, Pasadena, CA
- A Dr. Martin Luther King Curriculum: Playing the Dream in YOUNG CHILDREN, Vol. 43 No. 2, January, 1988. (Young Children is the journal of the National Association for the Education of Young Children.)
- Free to be a Teacher, In Focus, Bulletin of WVA. AEYC, February, 1987.
- I participated in the final editing of The Bill of Rights for Children of Incarcerated Parents (663KB PDF file)
Full Time, Long Term Teaching
- Teacher, San Francisco Unified School District Pre-kindergarten and Children’s Centers 1972-1983
- Co-founder and Director, Discovery Room for Children, New York City, 1969-1971
- Teacher, New York City Public Schools, Grades 7, 5, 4, 1 and Kindergarten, 1962-1967
- Full time Faculty, Pacific Oaks College, 1988-1992